Butter Chicken: A Delightful Dish from India
Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is loved for its rich and creamy tomato-based sauce and tender pieces of chicken. This dish is a staple in Indian restaurants and is widely considered to be one of the best examples of Indian comfort food.
Unlike many other curry dishes from India, butter chicken is mild and rich in taste and has a smooth and creamy consistency.
Making Butter Chicken at home
Making butter chicken at home is actually fairly easy and requires ingredients you will find in a standard supermarket!
You only need to make sure you have enough time to marinate the chicken, as it needs to sit in the marinade for at least three hours. Ideally you can prepare the chicken marinade the night before to enjoy the full flavour of the aromatics.
By the way - the perfect accompaniment to this dish is my tasty filled naan bread for your full Indian flavour experience!
But enough of the talk - the chicken needs marinating! Let's grab our aprons, I'll see you in the kitchen. If you like Butter Chicken and/or have tried this recipe, please let me know in the comments below. <br/>
Indian Butter Chicken
Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is mild and rich in taste and has a smooth and creamy consistency.
Fact SheetCategory: Entree Cuisine: Indian Gluten free Low carb Main Dishes Cooking Method: cooking & marinating Diet: Gluten Free Preparation Time: 180 minutes Total Time: 210 minutes Servings: 3
- 500g chicken breast, cut to cubes
- 500ml buttermilk
- 150ml cream
- 150ml chicken stock
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 3 tsp butter
- 2 onions
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tsp of minced ginger
- 3 TBSP Tomato paste
- 4 tsp Red Thai curry paste or red chilli paste
- 4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- Marinate the chicken for at least 3hrs in: * 200ml buttermilk * 1 tsp garlic * 1 tsp ginger * 2 tsp red curry paste * 2 tsp Garam Masala * Salt
- For the sauce:
- Heat oil and butter and add finely minced onions.
- After five minutes, add the remaining minced garlic and ginger as well as all spices, let fry for about two minutes, then add 3 tablespoons tomato paste and 2 teaspoons red curry paste.
- Let cook and stir well for a few minutes, until all of the ingredients stick together like a soft „dough“.
- Remove from pan and put in kitchen blender.
- In the meantime, remove chicken pieces from marinade and place in pan.
- Pan fry gently on medium heat but make sure the chicken meat doesn’t brown.
- Then add the remaining marinade as well as 300ml buttermilk and 150ml chicken stock to the pan and stir in the blended spice paste.
- Add 150ml cream, let simmer gently until chicken is cooked.
- Serve with rice or naan bread